Now when I talk about learning environment I mean any environment that someone learns in, not just the online version we normally associate with the term. A room can have all the essential elements to provide a learning environment but if you haven't put thought into how it is arranged the best course the world will still struggle.
Just because a room has tables, chairs, projector, laptop and people doesn't make it a good learning environment. In the same way, just because a VLE. LMS or online conferencing facility has all the tools you have on your list of requirements doesn't mean its a good learning environment or that it will fit your pedagogy.
So what is a good learning environment? Well that depends what you want to happen....but mostly its common sense (I know, why do so many people get it wrong if its just conmen sense?!?!). In the physical room I suggest the following;
- If you want interaction and co-operative learning (and lets face it most session do) them make sure people can see each other.
- If there will be presentations make sure EVERY learner can see the screen (not always easy if they need to see each other).
- Give them the right tools, if they need to do go online use laptops not PCs. Laptops offer more flexibility and the hight of the screen is lower so they can still interact with each other.
- Don't under estimate the power of light and air. I know its not always possible but nature daylight is really important to us humans.
- Clean, tidy and modern environments are good but not always essential. The most important thing is the learner feels comfortable.
- Do what you can to encourage an informal environment, give them opportunities to interact with each others. Placing sweets and water at intervals along a table gives them a reason to interact and socialise.
- Activities that bridge lunch are also good. People need a break but they also appreciate a focus for the downtimes where they might feel awkward.
As for online learning environments....watch this space for another posting. I am pretty sure I know what the key points are but I need more time to test these out in practice before I start preaching...this is one time when I know what doesn't work but need to test what I think does!
No comments:
Post a Comment